Monday, August 24, 2009

Then and Now

As a child I watched in wonderment as my parents snapped photos with their Canon camera (my dad circa '82). I loved that camera, so sleek and shiny. But what I loved most was what you did with a camera, you captured moments and kept them forever. My parents carried their camera on our many trips to Europe, the Caribbean, throughout the United States and back home again. I was young enough to forget and now am so grateful to have those photos. Unfortunately in 1992 Hurricane Andrew hit and all their equipment was lost. I was 12 and was mixed with emotions that needed to be expressed, so I picked my rectangular turquoise camera, that I swear came free in a cereal box, and documented the destruction of the hurricane. It wasn't until my high-school graduation that I got my first "real" camera as a gift from my parents. I immediately began to snap away and capture the last moments of my senior year in high school. I was on a roll until one night after a wedding someone stole the camera from my car. I was heart broken and began a path that lead me to receive a degree in Family and Child Sciences. I worked in the field for about 5 years but noticed I was getting farther and farther away from what I really loved.

After saving up a bit, I decided to test out photography again and bought the Powershot S2 IS by Canon. This is one of the first photos I took with the camera.



I was in love again. Completely inspired. Within a year I purchased the EOS Rebel XTi and began to explore but the more I learned the more passionate I became and the more I realized the job I was currently in, was no longer for me. In February 2009, I threw caution to the wind and began my business. With a smile on my face I began my journey as a photographer. My first purchase was the EOS 50D and the 24-70mm f/2.8L lens. Although I switched careers I still loved working with children which made my first job that much easier. Here is one of the first photos I took after switching my job.



After a few more jobs I got the Speedlite 580EX II, after a few more jobs I got the 50mm f/1.4 and the EOS 5D MarkII (big jump, I know but felt limited by the crop factor on my 50D) and when I wish I had more equipment I rent it from Borrowlenses. :) I remain inspired and in love with photography. Here I am, feet in the sand wondering how life could be so sweet!! Please forgive the wild hair--it was a windy day!! xxoo

1 comment:

  1. what a great post. it is inspiring to see how you went for a dream and the result is happiness and beautiful art! great decision lady! xo

    ReplyDelete